Lake Tyers Camp & Caravan Park

 

The Lake Tyers Camp Park has a most intruging history. The methodist Church and the Uniting Church in Australia have operated the site as a camp park for over forty seven years. The Methodist Church purchased the site in 1954 from Ethel Isobel Cross of Lakes Entrance, and Noel Alexander Hamilton Cross, a farmer, also from Lakes Entrance.

 

Lake Tyers was named after C.J Tyers who was a Lands Comissioner in Gippsland in the 1840s and later became the Surveyor-General.

 

It has been described as 'The Pearl of the Gippsland Lakes' or 'The Loch Lomond of the South'. There is also an aboriginal legend which tells how one day the sea came in land to rest amongst the wooded hillsides and there fell asleep and is still there today.

 

Descriptive names and legends give only a glimpse of the attractions of this pictureesque lake with its deep water arms winding enticingly through the densely wooded valleys.

 

Water birds love the sheltered waters of the lake and its sandy beaches protected by the sand dunes from the winter gales.

 

Within the waters of the lake the fish abound and, in season, prawns provide many a holiday maker with a delightful meal gleaned from the lake a few short hours on a pleasant summer evening.



All rights reserved by Lake Tyers Camp & Caravan Park
Lake Tyers, Victoria, Australia